Location:Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland
Service:Fabrication and Installation of Structures
LARS Communications has recently completed the design, fabrication and installation of a RADAR tower and RADAR cabin in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland.
LARS Communications were responsible for the decommissioning of the existing tower, and the design, build and installation of the replacement tower, as well as the manufacture and installation of the RADAR cabin which houses all electrical components.
Following an initial crane survey and preparation of a lift plan, the existing structure was climbed and using the crane, members were removed one at a time (or in part assemblies). These items were lowered to the ground ready to be cut up for removal. All steelwork was removed using a lorry or a scrap skip and recycled where possible.
Tower Design, Build and Installation
The new tower, designed to support the radar array and RADAR cabin, is a brand new, bespoke design, developed and applied to various sites across the UK. This version in Dumfries and Galloway is a 10m version of the design.
The four-leg angle structure is constructed in 5m sections, including an internal staircase and working platform on all four sides at the top of the tower. The top section also supports the RADAR cabin where all the electrical components are housed. All steelwork fabrication and construction is carried out in LARS’ in-house fabrication workshop in Carnforth, Lancashire.
Once the tower has been transported to the site, LARS oversees all plant equipment for the installation, including cranes, telehandlers, traffic management systems and task lighting. LARS’ experienced climbing teams undertake the installation of the structure.
The RADAR Cabin
Designed and developed at the LARS Carnforth depot, the RADAR cabin was assembled away from the build area to allow the cabin to be cladded and so not hold up the progress of the tower build.
Once the work on the upper section of the tower begins, the cabin was moved closer to the tower build area to allow installation on to the structure. Once the cabin had been installed, all wall mounted components were fixed, and the final section of the tower was lifted into place and secured.
Scope of works:
- Decommissioning of existing structure and removal and recycling of parts where possible
- Full site survey, geotec works, ground preparation and foundations carried out
- Excavate for new foundations
- Remove any subsurface structures, cabling and the like
- Install reinforced concrete foundations for tower, staircase, RADAR cabin and all associated structures
- Design of new 10m structure, adhering to bespoke RADAR tower design developed for other UK sites, incl. Hampshire, South Oxfordshire (both 20m towers) and Cambridge (30m tower)
- Steel fabrication phase – four-leg angle structure, internal staircases, working platform, RADAR cabin – carried out in LARS’ in-house fabrication workshop
- All steel is UK sourced to the required specification
- Prior to assembly, all steel is galvanized to ensure it is resistant to corrosion in a wide variety of environments
- Transportation of tower and RADAR cabin to Dumfries and Galloway
- Assembly and erection of 10m RADAR tower (in sections), RADAR cabin (away from build area), access staircase to platform level (including handrails and non-slip treads)
- Cladding of RADAR cabin
- Installation of RADAR cabin and fixing of all wall-mounted components as required
- Supply fit and fix lightning protection for RADAR tower
- Anti-climb panels bolted around the stairs, fixed to the base using resin anchors
- Gantry poles fixed to concrete base and cable gantry bolted in place
- On completion of all works, the site was cleared of all materials and waste and the site left in a clean and tidy condition
This was the fourth iteration of the bespoke RADAR tower and RADAR cabin design and it has been a really exciting project for everyone involved. From the initial designs to the decommissioning and the final installation, the teams involved have been fantastic. And despite the challenges posed by COVID-19, this tower in Dumfries and Galloway was completed within the allotted time frame and on budget.
For more information about our range of services, please visit our Services Page.