LARS completed works to improve internal access to the Met Office weather radar site at Cobbacombe in Devon.
The works included the fabrication and installation of a new 18 metre spiral staircase to replace the existing vertical ladder. The works were successfully completed over a twelve week period.
The overall scope of works for the project comprised the following:
- Oversee the removal of the existing Radome and Radar System
- Remove the existing hooped ladder
- Installation of a new spiral staircase to the top platform, including fencing and foundation
- Installation of a companionway ladder from the top platform into the dome, including weld mesh protective fencing
- Fabrication and installation of a new platform and lifting hatch
- Modify the existing hatch opening and install a new interlock hatch into the Radome
- Fabrication and installation of a steel support for the Radome, including the extension of the support platform
- Install a new cable tray management system
- Oversee the installation of a new Radome and Radar system
- Patch repair corrosion and repaint the tower, platform and stairs