We design, fabricate and install bespoke structures across the UK. From radar and radome platforms to rooftop grillage and emergency services training towers, we have installed specialist structures for some of the biggest names in UK industry.
From initial conception through site surveys to final design, fabrication and installation, as well as ongoing maintenance, we provide a full turnkey service. What’s more, we don’t rely on ‘off the shelf’ solutions. We work closely with our customers to understand what they need, ensuring that our bespoke towers are designed and manufactured to their precise requirements.
We have designed, fabricated and installed a number of specialist structures across the UK. Our most recent contract was for a radar platform at Remote Radar Head Buchan, part of an exciting project for the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office. This unique design stands at only 5 metres in height, with a diameter of 23 metres and a 12 x 5 metre access platform. The platform itself supports a 15 metre radome, housing radar equipment and a mobile elevating works platform (MEWP), an essential component should any maintenance be required to the radar equipment itself.
This structure, as well as the one installed at RRH Brizlee Wood, is part of a vitally important upgrade to UK air defence systems.
We have experienced teams of designers, project managers, steel fabricators, civils and installation teams who will look after every aspect of the project from start to finish, meaning you have greater control from the very start of any project, knowing that you will be working with one supplier for that turnkey solution.
LARS Bespoke Structures
More often than not, our specialist structures are designed to fulfil a very specific purpose. For instance, the radar platforms at RRH Buchan and RRH Brizlee Wood were hugely important to the production of the Recognised Air Picture, used to provide real-time information on potential air threats to UK Airspace.
All of the steel used in these tower installations is UK sourced to the required specification. Before the tower assembly, the steel is galvanised to ensure it is resistant to corrosion in a wide variety of environments. LARS was also responsible for the full design and build including foundations, reinforced concrete and installation of the earthing and lightning protection system.
Another example is the design, fabrication and installation of a new training tower facility for the North West Ambulance Service’s Hazardous Area Response Team (HART).
The bespoke training tower was commissioned to provide an adaptable training at height facility for the HART team. The tower stands at 8 metres in height and incorporates various climbing elements designed for different working at height scenarios, including It includes two working platforms with access hatches, fixed ladder access from ground level to the second platform hatch, mast climbing pegs and mast climbing staples.
Why LARS Communications?
- Initial planning, including site acquisition and planning permission.
- Working alongside our design partners and using the latest CAD software, we design bespoke towers to our customers’ exact requirements.
- Our fully equipped, in-house fabrication workshop has the capability to fabricate a range of masts and towers as well as an array of ancillary steelwork.
- We are certified under the CE marking scheme, Execution Class 2.
- Experienced teams of civils and groundworkers for tower and cabin foundation works; ducting, trenching and chambers; compound fencing and finishing works; earthing and lightning protection.
- We are certified with the FCS1331 Site Engineering Accredited Scheme.
- Our rigging teams are highly trained and qualified and are approved by all major site providers in the UK.
- We undertake tower and site inspections, undertaking annual Safe to Climb inspections and Certification on towers and structures.
- We undertake structural analysis and general design checks on masts and towers, providing detailed inspection and design reports to suit.
- We provide a comprehensive range of structural upgrades from tower strengthening and remedial works, to ladder, staircase and platform installations.